Saturday, September 29, 2007

West Yellowstone!

A little snow and they clear out
Its snowing (the view from the back of the trailer) if you click on this and enlarge it you can see the snow

Moose inside of the park


Sunrise over Firehole canyon
Woke up this morning and its snowing here in West Yellowstone, cleared the campground right out, They left in large droves which is pretty cool to have the whole place to ourselves, well OK us and 10 or 15 others. The snow won't last and very seldom sticks this time of year, Odin and I went for a very long walk in it, This is perfect weather for him, and I didn't mind breaking out my snow boots.
We got a late start out of Roosevelt on Wed, and add to that the road blocks between Vernal and the Gorge (looking for the jail escapees). We decided not to push into Rock Springs and just pulled off at Firehole canyon and got some sleep, which turned out to be pretty cool, I woke up about 6:30 and took the dogs out and took some pretty incredible pics.
I drove the truck on Thurs from Green River Wyoming to Driggs Idaho.(pretty cool huh) this being my first time and there is no damage to truck or trailer, It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I only had one close encounter and that was with some sheep in the middle o f the road when I came around a corner, but I got her shut down in time, lol. Did a little bit of backing but that's going to take more practice (because everybody knows I suck at backing even in my car) anyways we got into West Yellowstone about 4:30 and had our choice of sites. There were maybe 50 campers in the Grizzly RV park (this is one of our favorite parks) Odin was so excited he loves it here also, we always stay on the south fence as it adjoins the national forest land to the south with great trails for walking the dogs, Odin had his first run in with a porcupine here last summer. The weather was perfect when we arrived in the seventies and wonderful,
We grilled some steaks and just hung out, took the dogs for a walk We have to be a little cautious right now as the Grizzly bears have been seen all through the area and even in town, Which just adds a Little excitement when walking the dogs, lol,
Friday morning Odin woke me up at 6:30 and wanted out side really bad, Which turned out to be pretty cool, because when I opened the door to let him out I could hear the wolves howling, This was a first for me and something I have always wanted to hear, So I made coffee and stayed up, would of loved to have sat outside but it was really freaking cold so I sat in the doorway of the trailer with the furnace running. Not sure but I think it kinda freaked Odin out as he was really nervous acting ( puss dog) and Just went pee and came right back in, It made my whole day though.
Friday afternoon we drove into the park, Its so nice as all of the crowds are gone and the few that are here are die hards like us they don't mind the cooler weather, (snow)and the fact that most of the facilities in the park are closed. Seen this moose (see above pic) within the first 10 minutes in, the elk are in rut and really pissy(meaning you want to keep your distance) Seen a black bear with cubs, didn't stop for pics as there was nowhere to park and we never just stop in the middle of the road, had a 35 minute shut down of the road for an accident (probably somebody stopping in the middle of the road for pics hehehe) which meant we didn't get into Mammoth before dark so we didn't get to watch the big bulls fight hopefully tonight!
Well that's about all from here from now, Its finally stop snowing and warmed up so were going to venture out and go for a ride.


No comments:

counter