Sunday, January 15, 2012

Grandma's parker house rolls.

I was very blessed to have grandmothers who were both very good cooks, And they taught me a lot.
 I myself love to cook.
One of my grandmothers made Parker house rolls which were my very favorite. I never learned from her how to make them and so I have been in search of a rolls recipe that I loved and reminded me of hers.
And a few months ago I found this one on a blog site that is really, and I mean really good.
This recipe makes a huge batch. It will fill 4 9x13 pans So today I am cutting it in half.
I will post the recipe in it entirety at the end.
Something else to note this is not a quickly roll recipe so allow yourself plenty of time.
2 cups milk
I stick real butter. ( there is no substitute for this it needs to be the real thing.
1/2 cup sugar.
Add to a large pan and heat till the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
I have gotten busy and brought this to a boil and it didn't seem to hurt anything so you don't have to stand and watch it.
Now turn the heat of and cool to luke warm. About 35 to 45 minutes.
once it cools add
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 cups flour.
Stir to combine then cover and let it rise for about and hour.

yeast added.

flour added.


Mixed together.


Cover
And now we wait..

About 1 hour or till doubled in size.
After an hour it will look like this.
Next add.
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

Mix together
I found the easiest way to do this is with my hands.
I would guess if you had a mixer with dough hooks that would work also.
Turn onto flour surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes.
This is a very easy dough to work with but tends to be sticky so you will need to add flour while you are kneading to keep it from sticking to you.

when you are done it will look like this.

Leave on the counter and cover with a towel and let rise 30 to 45 minutes


Just a note this will do better in a warm place.

This is what it will look like after rising.

Next we roll it out, Now this is where I changed it just a little bit.

The first couple of times I made these I rolled them out and then cut them in circles dipped them in butter and placed them in the pans. But ended up with some wasted dough that became to tough to work with,

So now I roll it out in a rectangle.



cover it with melted butter then fold.



then more butter and fold and more butter and fold.



cut into sections about a 1/2 in wide.



And place in pan.


Let rise till double then bake in a 400 oven for 15 minutes, give or take a few

and there you have them.
a couple of notes.
these go from being brown to very brown very quickly so you want to keep and eye on them.
And these make very good cinnamon rolls also. just roll out spread with butter sprinkle cinnamon and sugar and then add nuts, or raisins. roll up and cut place on pan, let rise and bake.
I have made the big batch and did half rolls and half cinnamon rolls.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups Whole Milk
  • 2 sticks 1 Cup Butter
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 4-1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
  • 8 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
  • 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
  • 1 cup (additional) All-purpose Flour
  • 2 sticks Melted Butter (additional)

Preparation Instructions

Combine 4 cups milk, 2 sticks butter, and sugar in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, and when the mixture is hot (but not boiling) turn off heat and allow to cool to warmer than lukewarm, about 30 to 45 minutes.
Sprinkle in the yeast and 8 cups of flour. Stir to combine, then cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 additional cup of flour. Stir to combine. Divide dough in half, then turn out onto floured surface. Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes, then form into a ball and cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place. for 30 to 45 minutes. (Repeat with other half of dough, or store it for a later use.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt 2 sticks of butter in a saucepan.
Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut circles with a 2 1/2 inch cutter. Dunk each circle in melted butter, then immediately fold in half and place on a cookie sheet, flat side down. Press lightly to encourage sealing. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Cover with a towel and allow rolls to rise 30 to 45 minutes.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately!
and I found the recipe here.
Posted by on November 21 2010
http://thepioneerwoman.com/

Hope you enjoy these as much as my family and I have.













1 comment:

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Yum...love good rolls. I have Grannys recipes if you want to copy them. I did not know you wanted them. No need tho, these are great!

counter